Playing Kahoot in class is always fun. My algebra 1 students especially love it! Instead of a traditional midterm, the school I teach at does a “midterm experience”. I decided that for the experience I was going to have my students create and then play their own Kahoots! This experience was broken up into two days. At the beginning of the first day, I told my students that by the end of their experience they would create a Kahoot focused on one of the concepts covered this semester. However, they are unaware of which concept until day 2.
On day one, I had students create one-sheets that covered the topics covered year. All concepts had to be included on my one sheet. A “one-sheet” is a brain dump of a certain concept. I typically use one-sheets to help students study and review for a test. Students had to make a “one-sheet” for each concept. They could use any resources to create their one-sheets. I collected their one-sheets at the end of class on the first day.
On day two, students were assigned a partner and a concept. Students could only use theirs and their partners one sheet to create their Kahoot. Each Kahoot had to cover all the material from that chapter and include 10 questions.
After they created their Kahoots, they shared them with me and we played them as a class! It was great because I could grade their Kahoots while we were playing! It was also fun to see each others work!
I liked this assessment because it had them review all of the material we’ve done this year, but then they were only assessed on a certain concept. It was also fun to create their own Kahoots! Some of my students added pictures and videos into their Kahoots to make it more fun. We can also look back and play the Kahoots when it comes time to review for the final!
Below is the direction sheet I handed out to my students.
- At the end of this experience, you will have created a Kahoot focused on one of the concepts covered this semester. However, you will not know which concept until day 2.
- On day one, you will be create one-sheets that cover the following topics. All concepts must be included. You may use any resources to create your one-sheets. One sheets will be collected at the end of day 1.
- Tools of Algebra
- Order of operations
- Combing like terms
- Negative Numbers
- Adding, subtracting powers
- Dividing and multiplying powers
- Power of zero
- Solving Equations
- Solving one-step equations
- Solving two-step equations
- Solving multistep equations
- Solving Equations with Variables on Both sides
- Relating Graphs to Events
- Relations and Functions
- Function rules, tables, graphs
- Writing a function rule
- Linear Equations
- Slope and Rate of Change
- Slope-intercept form
- Standard form
- Point-slope form and writing linear equations
- Parallel and Perpendicular lines
- Solving and Graphing Inequalities
- Inequalities and Their Graphs
- Solving one step inequalities
- Solving Multi-step inequalities
- Graphing linear inequalities
- You will be assigned a partner and a topic
- You and your partner will create a Kahoot on your topic.
- You can only use your one sheets to create your Kahoot
- Kahoot must include 10 questions